Monday 26 September 2011

FICA and Freezing of bank accounts

IMCOSA AUGUST NEWSLETTER
Fica and the Freezing of Bank Accounts


More and more foreigners with local bank accounts are experiencing problems when they apply for an extension or change of permit and do not receive their new permits before expiry of the original one. Certain banks have started, systematically and as a matter of policy, to freeze the bank accounts of foreigners on the day that their permits expire. The freezing is done irrespective of whether applications for extensions have been made to Home Affairs, and whether such applications were made well in advance of the expiry date. No intervention has been found to stop or reverse this and letters issued by the regional office of Home Affairs acknowledging responsibility for the delay, or even written support by the Banking Council, have fallen on deaf ears.





The effect of this is that law-abiding persons, apart from having to endure the stress of their new permits not arriving in time and them not being allowed to continue their work or other activity, now have the added pleasure of not being able to access their own funds, of debit orders not being processed, etc.





Fortunately, there are alternatives to this scenario and there are respectable banks who very well understand the problems caused by Home Affairs delays. The freezing of your bank account is therefore avoidable, provided that the necessary steps are taken in advance. Please approach our team if you have questions in this regard or require assistance.






http://imcosa.co.za/en/news/147-immigration-news-aug-2011.html

6 comments:

  1. i am hoping for a response, i am a victim to the freezing of my bank account, i have been waiting for my extension from August, my permit was due to expire in october and i hadnt in my application for extension in august which is still pending in their system. My account was frozen a day or so following the expiry, i went to the home affairs and was issued with a form 20/6 for 3months whihc the bank accepted, the form 20 since expired on the 24th of Jan and my account was frozen yet again, the home affairs said they no longer issue form 20's i am now stuck, i asked to close my account and was told to wait a further 2 working days. help me please i feel so helpless

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am also in the same situation so i can you please let me know how to get hold of your team for assistance.my bank is FNB and problem is that my ATM card got expired in Oct 2012 so i went to the bank to process a new card and i was told that my assylum paper must be verified by the department of home affair,so since then nothing positive has surfaced living me in a dilemma situation,so please can your team help me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I opened an account with Absa last month and and yesterday I went to make a large transfer and I was told my permit was unauthenticated and as such I made enquiries @ home affairs and it was confirmed that the permit I used since 2014 is not authentic,I paid an agent to do it for me n now my account is frozen n I might face deportation.
    I want to access my bank urgently .how do I go about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I opened an account with Absa last month and and yesterday I went to make a large transfer and I was told my permit was unauthenticated and as such I made enquiries @ home affairs and it was confirmed that the permit I used since 2014 is not authentic,I paid an agent to do it for me n now my account is frozen n I might face deportation.
    I want to access my bank urgently .how do I go about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Absa proceeded to freeze our business account, after all the FICA documents were completed & the bank is in possession thereof. Please assist, account is still frozen.

    ReplyDelete